Thank you for the hundreds of toys you have made for us. We're still trying to find them all forever homes and so we won't be accepting any more for the time being.
What is a 'Trauma Toy'?
A Trauma Toy is a knitted soft toy given as a comforter to a young person in distress. On 31st July 2018, Police and Crime Commissioner Barry Coppinger launched the Trauma Toy campaign, to call for knitters across Teesside to get involved.
The Trauma Toy campaign is a partnership between the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Cleveland and victim agencies, including Cleveland Police.
The toys will be distributed to children who come into contact with victim support services, including:
- Cleveland Police
- Victim Care and Advice Service (VCAS)
- Teesside Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
Does the toy need to have a certain design?
We encourage knitters to create toys of all colours, shapes and sizes, to appeal to children of all interests and backgrounds.
However, we have created a suggested design if you are unsure where to start. This should help you create a bear similar to the one shown in the image on the right.
We do have a few rules about how the toy should be made:
- Donations must be hand-knitted.
- Toys must not include buttons or zip attachment, which could be accidentally or forcibly removed/chewed. There should be no detachable items on the toys and items like scarfs should be sewn onto the main body of the toy.
- Seams must be securely fastened. Seams should be tension-tested to ensure they are as secure as possible.
- Ideally we would like toys to come from a smoke-free environment.
How and where do I make a donation?
Toys can be donated by handing them into the front desk at the following locations:
Cleveland Community Safety Hub
(Please note: this address will not show on navigation systems)
Stockton Police Station
Hartlepool Police Station
Redcar and Cleveland Main Police Station
Kirkleatham Business Park
Middlesbrough Police Station
Bridge Street West
If you have any questions about the Trauma Toys campaign, please contact Rachelle Kipling on 01642 301208 or email email@example.com.