Text Only
Accessibility Options
Default Text Size icon Large Text Size icon Largest Text Size icon
Set your Postcode This will personalise content such as news & events with the latest from your area.
Skip Content

Hate Crime and How to Report It

What is Hate Crime?

equalityHate crimes are any crimes that are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that person’s:

Race or Ethnicity
Religion or Belief
Sexual Orientation
Transgender identity

This can be committed against a person or property. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

Hate Incidents can feel like crimes to those who suffer them and often escalate to crimes or tension in a community. For this reason the police are particularly concerned about incidents and encourage people to report them. The police can only prosecute when the law is broken but will work with partners to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.

This video - created by Eugene Evans for Cleveland Police - tells you what hate crime is, how to report it and how to get support.


Why Should I Report Hate Crime?

Hate crimes and incidents hurt, they can be confusing and frightening. By reporting them when they happen to you, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else.  You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it. Reporting makes a difference - to you, your friends, and your life.




How Can I Report a Hate Crime?

There are several ways you can report a hate crime, whether you have been a victim, a witness, or you are reporting on behalf of someone else:


1. Contact the Police

Call 101 to contact the police in a non emergencyAlways ring 999 in an emergency. 
Ring 101 for a non emergency.

You can speak to the police in confidence. You do not have to give your personal details, but please be aware the investigation and ability to prosecute the offender(s) is severely limited if the police cannot contact you.


2. Use a Third Party Reporting Centre

Hate-Crime-InformationIf you don’t want to speak directly to the police you can report crime at a Third Party Reporting Centre.They can provide you with support and can forward details of the incident to the police.

This does not have to include your contact details if you don’t wish the police to investigate the incident, but can alert the police to areas where hate crime is a particular issue.

Click here to download a list of all Third Party Reporting Centres in the Cleveland Police Area


Powered by Contensis