The Police and Crime Commissioners for Cleveland and Durham have made clear their commitment to put victims at the heart of criminal justice processes. They are committed in their shared vision for the future of ensuring that every victim of crime and anti-social behaviour benefits from the best possible service according to their needs .
Too often the services received by victim are determined by crime type, we want to ensure that no matter what type of crime they have suffered from, victims feel that they get personal and professional support at times when they need to most.
We want to better identify our most vulnerable victims and focus our efforts on repeat victims to give them dedicated one to one support. We aim to reduce the confusion and often frustration that some victims have previously faced by receiving multiple contacts from different agencies.
- Victims will receive tailored support to their individual needs and circumstances rather than crime type
- Repeat and vulnerable victims will receive one to one care from a victims advocate
- We want to ensure victims get the right support without them having to re-tell their story and relive their victimisation.
- Victims can choose to receive support at any point in their journey to recovery
- Victims are routinely offered the option of restorative justice and solutions
- Better support for young victims of crime that isn’t only offered via a parent or guardian
- Providing a single point of contact will allow greater ownership of the whole victim journey from first reporting the incident to the police, throughout the investigation and criminal justice process and beyond.
- Refer and direct victims to relevant local support agencies or charities, giving the victims greater choice over the services they wish to receive.
Victim Referral Dip Sampling Reports
Cleveland Dip Sample Report - January 2015 (MS Word Document, 113kB)
Durham Dip Sample Report - November 2014 (MS Word Document, 113kB)
Listening and Learning - Improving Victim Servies in Cleveland (Adobe PDF Document, 1MB)
Listening and Learning - Improving Victim Servies in Durham (Adobe PDF Document, 1MB)
Victim Referral Service News
Cleveland and Durham PCCs Develop Improved Service for Victims in 2016 (18th December 2015)