What is the Youth Advisory Group?
The Youth Advisory Group (YAG) enables young people to support, challenge and inform work around policing, community safety and victims services in Cleveland.
Redcar-based charity The Junction is now recruiting young people to take part in the YAG.
Youngsters will learn valuable life skills and have the chance to meet new people by taking part.
Who can join?
Participants must be aged 14 to 18, and live in the Cleveland Force area – that is, in Hartlepool, Stockton, Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland.
To be a successful YAG member, you will be a team player. You will also have a commitment and willingness to take part in all YAG activities.
The YAG recruits a diverse group of young people, who broadly reflect the make-up of communities across Cleveland.
What do YAG members do?
Members undertake a wide range of activities. They include the following:
- Carrying out consultation with young people on behalf of the Cleveland Unit for Reducing Violence (CURV);
- Producing quarterly feedback for CURV’s Governance Board;
- Supporting the development of funding bids, where consultation with young people is needed;
- Developing a Youth Ethics Panel to provide advice and guidance to Cleveland Police on a range of ethical dilemmas;
- Scrutinising the police’s use of stop and search powers and force;
- Advising on Cleveland OPCC and Cleveland Police policy development, making sure that new policies reflect the needs of young people and do not impact them adversely;
- Acting as a critical friend to the force and OPCC by calling out any issues, which cause them concern;
- Supporting the OPCC Communications Team to develop campaigns targeted at young people.
What do Young People get from taking part?
Benefits of taking part in YAG include the following:
- The chance to discuss issues, which affect you and your future;
- The opportunity to develop valuable skills and experience, which look good on a CV and can be used in job and college applications;
- Helping to give a voice to young people across Cleveland through consultation and other work;
- The chance to meet new people, who you may not otherwise meet.
If you are interested in taking part, contact Phil Dolphin, the Junction’s Lead for Youth and Participation, at email@example.com
Cleveland Youth Commission on Crime
Cleveland YAG builds on the work of Cleveland Youth Commission on Crime, which was established in 2020.
You can read the Commission’s 2020-21 report here:
The Big Conversation 2020-21
Cleveland Youth Commission Report 2020-21 – the Big Conversation (application, 1MB)