Community Remedy was introduced in the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.
It is a tool to give victims a say in the out of court punishment of perpetrators for low level crime and anti-social behaviour.
Following feedback from a public consultation by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner in March 2014, a list of options were identified and agreed.
This was in order for victims to indicate their preference as to how the perpetrator should be dealt with. One of the options included targeted interventions.
Targeted interventions can be used to assist the offender address issues they may have to overcome or to understand the impact of their crime and/or anti-social behaviour. Mediation and Anger Management has been identified as one of these interventions.
Mediation is a way of helping people in dispute to find a win/win solution to their conflict. It involves bringing people together to discuss and resolve issues impacting on people’s quality of life.
An impartial third party, the practitioner, helps the people involved to work out an agreement focussing on future behaviours and actions.
Unite has experience in resolving cases involving a wide range of issues including: noise, parking issues, and anti-social behaviour and landlord/tenant disputes.
The aim of anger management training is to help the client develop an understanding of anger as an emotion, identify their own anger hooks and triggers and gain an insight into how their anger impacts on themselves and others.
Anger Management training is a one-to-one programme delivered over six sessions. Benefits include;
- The client having the ability to manage their emotions more constructively
- Increased self-awareness and the awareness of the impact on others
- Reduction in anger related incidents
- Improvements in relationships with friends, family, neighbours etc.
The service provided by Unite will include the following:
- 25 community mediation sessions
- 10 family mediation sessions
- 10 anger management training sessions
- Active marketing campaign to promote services to potential referrers