Cleveland Police Cadet Programme is open to young people aged 13 to 17 years inclusive.
There is a separate Cadets Unit in each Local Policing Area.
The programme has the following key aims:
- To promote a practical understanding of policing amongst young people.
- To encourage a spirit of adventure and good citizenship.
- To support local policing priorities through volunteering and give young people a chance to be heard.
- To inspire young people to participate positively in their communities.
The programme aims to build bridges within communities, working to reduce the risk of crime and encouraging progression towards responsible adulthood.
It does this by providing a range of transferable skills to over one hundred young people each year.
The programme includes a number of key deliverables including the following:
- Support for neighbourhood policing by supporting local policing events and/or local community events.
- Delivery of crime prevention advice to community members through specific cadet led projects.
- Support for young people considering a career in the police service.
- Progression of older cadets into Senior Cadet and Volunteer Instructor roles.
- Voluntary work undertaken in addition to the core cadet unit hours.
Adaptations to the programme will be necessary to ensure that it follows current public health guidance on social distancing.
This will be reviewed throughout the year and activity altered accordingly.