In August 202, the OPCC launched a £500,000 funding opportunity for interventions to support the reduction of violent crime.
As part of this funding, Hartlepool Borough Council secured £30,585 to support delivery of a crime prevention plan focussed on the Night-Time Economy (NTE).
Following Hartlepool Borough Council’s success, the Borough Councils of Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton and Middlesbrough were all invited to review their NTE crime prevention plans. They were also invited to submit applications for CURV funding.
The remaining Local Authorities subsequently submitted applications, which were approved..
Bids were approved for four months from the 1 December 2022 to 31 March 2023. The total spend to support NTE activity was as follows:
- Hartlepool £30,585 (DRF 2022-0018)
- Redcar & Cleveland £28,760.28 (DRF 2022-0023)
- Stockton £32,208.69 (DRF 2022–0022)
- Middlesborough £57,109.00 (DRF 2022-0024)
Spending on NTE activity came to a total of £148,662.97.
NTE areas have been identified as linked to Serious Violence hotspots after local crime data analysis.
In line with national initiatives, CURV has made available increased funding. It is expected to work towards and evidence reductions in serious violence within specified NTE areas.
Total funding of up to £42,120 from the 2022-23 CURV budget has been allocated to Cleveland’s four local authorities Uplifted grants have been broken down as follows:
- Hartlepool – £10,315.00
- Middlesbrough – £13,658.00
- Stockton – £8,147.00
- Redcar & Cleveland – £10,000.00
Additional funding will support the following:
- Additional knife wands
- Additional bleed kits
- Expansion of the project to additional Licenced Premises within the town centres
- Purchase additional supplies to enable the projects to continue over the summer periods Including bottle stoppers and anti-spike glass covers, anti-spike testing strips
- Support for safe havens /safe spaces
- Increased support for volunteers working within the NTE such as street pastors
- Extra support for the national Ask Angela campaign
DRF2022/23 – 0032. Night Time Economy Funding uplift (application, 182kB)