The PCC Community Safety Initiatives fund has approved £5,000-worth of funding for GADD.
The cash will allow GADD to undertake work around improving the confidence of the LGBT community in reporting hate incidents. Key deliverables are:
- Recommendations to address the key barriers to reporting homophobic and transphobic hate crime in Cleveland. These recommendations will include use of third party reporting centres, and will involve:
- An element of desk research, reviewing existing material on the subject (national and local);
- interviews with key voluntary organisations (GADD, Hart Gables, Teesside Positive Action and others
- An element of outreach within the community, including those involved in organising Middlesbrough Pride.
- interviews with key individuals in relevant agencies, where necessary, to understand current practice
2. A communications strategy, based on the findings above. This will enable the results to be widely communicated across the community and increase community confidence in reporting hate crime.