Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB,) neighbour disputes and harassment can take many forms.
They range from criminal activity to seemingly minor incidents, which may not appear too serious.
However, if relatively low level incidents form part of an ongoing campaign, they can then have a significant impact on individuals and communities.
ASB may also include antisocial use of a vehicle, such as street racing, street cruising and off-road use.
Regular anti-social vehicle use can have a wider impact on a neighbourhood and can include:
- Criminal damage to roads, other vehicles and surrounding property;
- Drivers/riders risking injury to themselves, other road users, cyclists and pedestrians;
- Intimidation of people living in communities, where loud noise, speeding and pollution from vehicles become the norm.
How we can help
ASB Case Review (formerly Community Trigger)
Antisocial behaviour (ASB) Case Review is a legal process. It can be used to ask agencies to review responses to reported antisocial behaviour or hate crime.
As a result, the review is designed to empower victims and bring agencies together to deal with some of the most persistent and complex cases.
Under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, the Review is a legal right for victims of ASB and/or hate crime.
It allows victims to ask for a review of how their council, police force, clinical commissioning group and some social landlords have dealt with reports.Find out more here
What has the PCC done?
- Supported an operation to clamp down on anti-social driving at Teesside Retail Park;
- Backed Operation Checkpoint, which aimed to provide high-visibility policing in rural communities.
What can you do?
Community Speedwatch (CSW) is a national initiative. Members of the community use detection devices to monitor local vehicle speeds in partnership with the police.
Volunteers report drivers exceeding the speed limit with the aim of educating them to slow down. If drivers ignore repeated warnings, police can prosecute
For more information, go to CSW Online.